Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Three Seasons and the "Chill" of it All

When I bought my motorcycle back in June, I made myself and my wife, Karen, a promise that I would do my best to be a "three season rider".

Why, you may ask? Simply put, I promised that I would justify the cost of the bike by saving gasoline for as long as humanly possible, and besides, you all know by now that I love to ride.


One factor that was left out of the equation was this...How
to dress warmly enough for those late autumn rides, where the wind chill dips into the 30 degree zone?

I thought that I would try to wear my hunting bibs, which are quilted and blaze orange...not only will I keep warm, but will be highly visible to drivers due to my superb "reflect-ability". Another suggestion was the purchase of leather chaps, which will at least block the biting wind and cold from penetrating my jeans and freezing my legs. (Visions of the Village People dancing in my head tell me that this is not going to be a viable option.)



I'll probably settle for a set of canvas coveralls, not unlike construction workers or loggers wear for cold weather...zippered legs to fit over your shoes, and a full zipper from the thigh to the neck. A full face helmet will finish the ensemble, to protect my big ears from frostbite. I won't win any beauty contest, but I will be warm.

I've already purchased gloves-gauntlet style with cuffs that extend over the ends of my sleeves. They are quite warm, as I've already had to use them...it is getting chilly, especially at 6 am on the ride home.

Years ago, when I was young and dumb, I had a motorcycle. I rode it all year round, in the rain, once in the snow (hence the "young and dumb"), and all I had was a leather jacket, a full face helmet, gloves, and a second pair of pants over my jeans. Young and dumb.


I plan to garage the bike when the first flurries fall from the sky, and probably will not ride until the spring thaw...but then again, if there's a really nice day, who knows?
I know I'm not getting any younger, but...

B.




No comments:

Obama Countdown