Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mark Your Calendars

This Saturday, March 15th will mark the third year that I will/have participated in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Conshohocken.

For most of my life, I considered myself a "Scotsman", especially after researching my ancestors on my father's side (Shaw) and finding names like MacAlister and Loughaby (pronounced "Lockaby") among them. I have really identified with my Scottish roots, to the point that I am still considering learning the "pipes" and purchasing my family tartan.

Just recently, though, I was really missing my grandparents. My grandfather passed away in 1995 and my grandmother early 2006. My mom told me once, a long time ago, that my grandfather's father was from England, but was Irish. I guess it was filed away in my memory and never became a point to recall, until recently. Their last name was Lawlor.

After researching the Lawlor name, I came to find that the name is, in fact, a very old surname, originating about the time that surnames became popularly used in Scotland, Ireland and England. It's original form was O'Lalor (Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Leathlobhair ‘descendant of Leathlobhar’, a personal name composed of the elements leath ‘half’ (i.e. ‘somewhat’, ‘fairly’) and lobar, ‘sick’. The name seems to have been originally a byname for a man of unhealthy constitution. [ed. note: if the namesake fits, it may have meant that they were half-nuts!-it surely hasn't skipped this generation! LOL]). It has evolved into several forms-O'Lalor, Lawler, Lawless, L'Lallour (Fr.Brittany), and ours, being "Lawlor".

I could go on and on...I love to research my family history. But, back to point-I really never considered myself Irish. With the "mix" that is my family make-up, I was the League of Nations, at the very least. But, if you look at the dominant names on both sides of the family, I am mostly Scots-Irish. And, proud of it.

Getting back on track-Please join everyone in Conshohocken on March 15th at 2 p.m. for the annual St Patrick's Day parade. My son and I will be walking in the parade with the Montgomery County Irish American Society, who's president is Senator John Rafferty (R-44).

Look for me...I'm the tall guy who looks half-nuts.

Even if you don't consider yourself Irish, remember this: Everyone is Irish on St. Patty's Day!!!!!

Slainte Mhath!



B.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Saw the name Loughaby on this picture. Thought you might be interested in it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcwooten/2369227605/

Obama Countdown