Friday, March 28, 2008

I Feel So Cheap

Dear Readers,

I have something I feel the need to share, if for no other reason than to warn others-lest this happen to you also.

Tonight I attended the annual Irish-American Society Banquet at the Plymouth Country Club.

This is a non-political event, although many who attend are among the who's who of Montgomery County politics.

When my lovely wife Karen and I walked in, I made a beeline to the cloak-room to hang up her coat. As I was exiting the cloak-room, I was accosted by none other than King James III. I turned to get out of his way and he forced his shoulder and arm in front of my body, took my hand in a firm and unyielding grasp (refusing to let go) and said, "Hi Bill, How are you?"

I said nothing. I felt a cold chill go up my spine, as I immediately experienced the fight or flight sensation of "tunnel-vision" and quickly made my retreat.

I had just been "Shake-raped". My hand was taken, without my consent, and forcibly shaken by someone I would rather not give the time of day to.

I feel so violated.

So, please, gentle readers, beware. Watch around those corners and keep your eyes pealed, for your own safety. I wouldn't want this to happen to you, too.

(Christ, the therapy alone is going to cost me a fortune...can I sue?).
____________________________________

On another related note:

Senator John Rafferty, President of the Irish-American Society of Montgomery County was making the usual introductions of the elected officials and dignitaries. He came to Bruce Castor and Jim Matthews and someone shouted something to the effect of "Joe Hoeffel just walked in". Jim Matthews looked around and started clapping his hands...(sigh).

The hor's d'oeuvres and prime rib was excellent, and, yes...I made sure to wash my hands before eating.

******UPDATE******
Our friend at PaWatercooler has this to add:
http://pawatercooler.com/?p=3776

B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear mr blogger I never knew who you were in person until tonight. I observed a white haired gum chewing, sligh smiling man, violently attempting to shake another mans hand. I was ready to call security. Now I know who you were. I actually think this same man with the gray hair was trying to touch my shoes in the bathroom stall. You sure he is not a US senator ??

Anonymous said...

Bill,

You forgot one detail. ONLY Jim Matthews clapped when the Hoeffel joke was made.

Did anybody notice how often Jim and his wife were peering over at Castor's full table from their half empty table?

But it's just 15 or 20 troublemakers, right King James?

Anonymous said...

What I thought was so funny was how quickly King James left the room at the conclusion of the program. While people were getting up and many of them coming ofer to greet Castor (who had missed the cocktail hour), His Majesty literally RAN out the door pulling his wife along behind him. Beyond question Our Sovereign was the first to leave stopping to say noting to anybody. Guess he had an uncomfortable night, huh?

Obama Countdown