Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Seeing the Forest for the Trees

I told you in my previous post, "I Can Take It", that I am at least honest enough with myself that I can admit a mistake, and take the steps necessary to fix it.

Sometimes, though, you need a gentle push to see "the forest for the trees". Sometimes you need a good hard shove.

Although I did not at the time think that there was an issue with it, I decided earlier today to remove the entire "Lance Rogers Press Release" for personal and professional reasons.

As I always do with the comments I receive, I checked for foul language, then for libel and slander, then I post them.

Today, I feel I did not do myself or my blog due diligence when I posted all of the comments. Although not libelous or slanderous, some of them were outright nasty towards a woman who I admire and respect. It took some reminding of that fact for me to get my head out of a very dark and smelly place. For that reason, I started to remove some of the remarks that I thought to be most abrasive. When I realized that I would have to remove all but a few of the over 10 comments posted, and that it took about a minute to remove each, I decided to just delete the post entirely.

Some of you may not agree with why I deleted the post, others may think that I censored their comments, and others may just agree with my "pretzel logic".

What I know is that when doing this, I must sometimes walk a tightrope, mostly without a safety net. I'm not going to please everyone all of the time. I will stumble and I will fall. Hopefully, not too hard.

I was and still am a fervent supporter of our District Attorney, Risa Vetri Ferman. It took a good, hard shove to remind me of my commitment to her. Fortunately for me, today I had a safety net. And sure, being wrong hurts, but I can take it.

B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill
As a fellow republican and friend, we all need to make sacrifices. Whether this process was fair or there is blame to cast, we should get behind the endorsed candidate. We have to stop all the shots, so I support you in the removal. Lets move forward, please. It is a new day and the only way we will grow is to do it a New Way not a negative way. The democrats do not have a Negative web site bashing each other although we all know Marcel has issues. We should start being positive, all of us. We have all had hatred in our blood because of past practice, but we need to let some of it go. This trash needs to stop. Bill you are doing a great job of promoting good politics, and yes the not so good. But I just think we should focus on Leach and hammer him. Sorry for rambling

Anonymous said...

Should one of the sacrifices Republicans make is to sacrifice their own personal integrity by supporting (after-the-fact) Ken Davis' improprieties when he FIXED the 17th District Endorsement Convention?

The only way to clean the stench off of the 17th District Endorsement Convention is to allow a FAIR Primary Race -- one in which the female candidate is not once again excluded by the Republican Party.

Bill Shaw said...

Ed. Note:

Lisa Paolino, the "female candidate" that Davis excluded from the endorsement process wil, in fact, be on the ballot in a fair primary.

Exclusion from the endorsement process notwithstanding, Paolino did circulate petitions and gather the required amount necessary to appear on the ballot.

Although the endorsement was exclusionary, the primary will not be.

Hope that clears up any question as to whether or not the process will , from here forward, be fair.
B.

Anonymous said...

If we sacrifice principle, what are we as a party? All factions in the Montco GOP routinely do this with impunity, then wonder why so many voters are fleeing our party. A fair - and yes, positive and issues/experience oriented - primary is indeed the only solution to this problem that Ken Davis created and others seek to whitewash for convenience.

Obama Countdown