Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Signatures and the State of the County

This is a busy time for those of us who are politically active. We have until next Tuesday to file our petitions for various ballot spots, be it Committeewoman/man, State Committee, Delegate, Alternate Delegate, State Rep and State Senator. Not to mention the Congressional and Presidential races.

This is our rush to get signatures...Lots and lots of signatures.



Now, some of us go to our old standby's–the people we can count on to pretty much fill our petitions in a day. And, I did, as well. I was almost halfway to completion when I had a brainstorm (one of those moments when you get that look in your eye...the dangerous one).

I decided to call some of my constituents who were 3 0f 4 and 4 of 4 voters, make appointments to meet with them, and, get their signatures as well. My ulterior motive? I steered the conversation to our county situation, to get their views on the subject.

Since I live in a predominantly "blue-collar" neighborhood in Whitemarsh, it was interesting to get the "blue-collar" spin from my neighbors.

In a word? "Disgusted". Disgusted with the infighting, disgusted with the inundation of news stories concerning the infighting, but most of all, disgusted with how Jim Matthews turned on the good Republicans who re-elected him.

Now, I can't claim Zogby numbers, but, these are the rank and file, non-political voters in my district. The ones who vote in most elections, who are the more informed of my constituents and who have the most to gain/lose after each election. And they were pretty much telling me the same thing.

What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? Not much, really. Jim Matthews is and will continue to be a RINO. Bruce Castor will continue being our watchdog in the county seat. But, what I got from these gracious folks who signed my petition was pretty straight forward. They all agreed on one point: if their vote isn't going to count (i.e: Matthews traitorous alliance) then why bother vote?

And, in one fell swoop, there goes the Republican party in Montgomery County.

As always, your comments are encouraged and appreciated.

B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have had the same conversations. I asked them to vote for Republican values and instead I supported the one who delivered half of our county to the democrats. What they couldnt win they negotiated for. As a comitteewoman I (and all of montco R's) now have ZERO credibility with my super voting R's.

Thanks for saying what everyone is thinking.

Bill Shaw said...

I'm glad to do it.

After this election cycle we were all subjected to the same thing...betrayal.

Those of us who went along to get along in the past need to step forward (and some already are) and let our voices be heard. That's why I started this blog and that is why I chose not to remain anonymous.

Our leadership needs to know that we, as committee people, are the voice of the committee as a whole. Our area leaders and muni chairs need to understand this and the county leadership needs to understand this. We walk the trenches and stand 13 hrs. on the polls, not them.

I reiterate–I will not be anonymous, as a matter of fact, I am striving for county-wide infamy. I hope every time they see me ("they" being the current traitorous conspirators and their minions), they turn away. And, when they turn away from me, I hope they feel that thorn in their side. That thorn will be me.

Say hi to the wife for me.

B.

Obama Countdown