Friday, February 22, 2008

Lower Merion/Narberth Lincoln Day Dinner

Well, good readers, I attended the Lower Merion/Narberth Lincoln Day Dinner this evening.

Jim "RINO" Matthews was there...I avoided him like the plague. Not that I fear him, but he plays with Joe Hoeffel and I didn't want to catch his cooties.

Ken Davis gave me the evil eye (or am I just paranoid? nah.). That only unnerves me when my wife does it to me. And trust me...she knows how to use it (she's had a lot of practice, being married to me!).

Tracy Specter was the Matron of Ceremonies. She "shushed" the crowd about a half dozen times, a tactic she surely picked up from Ken Davis. Didn't work, though. I guess it was because everybody talking felt as though what they had to say was more important than what Tracy had to say. I actually felt sorry for her. It was her event and she should have gotten some consideration from the crowd.

Arlen spoke. Gerlach spoke. A couple of other people I didn't know spoke. They gave Belmont Hills' Rocco Burdo an award.

I met a lot of nice people, chatted it up with the usual suspects, ate hor's d'ouvres and had a few glasses of cabernet. Nothing spectacular. At least, not until I left.

Walking to the parking lot, I happened to walk past you-know-who. I greeted him with "Lance?". He said "Y-You're Bill Shaw, right?" and hid behind his girlfriend (embellished for dramatic effect...he really just said "you're Bill Shaw, right").

He did look a bit nervous...fidgety. I decided to let him off easy-I was in a hurry to get home so I could change and go to work.

I told him that contrary to his fears, I didn't hate him personally. I told him that I hated the process that ordained him as the "endorsed" candidate in the 17th. I told him that the process was corrupt and that I've gotten feedback from a lot of people and they don't like the circumstances behind his endorsement.

He said that he "understood my frustrations" but "what could he do?".

I told him that only he could fix it at this point–by insisting that Davis call a new convention and include everyone in the process. He said, "We should get together and discuss this." So, I suggested that we meet for lunch. (I was way too easy on him, but, like I said, I was in a hurry)

We'll see if it ever happens. (At least he was cordial)

Oh, yeah...and I met Arlen Specter.

B.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to yesterday's early-morning post on this? It was soooooooooooo FUNNY!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

Can you make a permanent link for your bigger stories, like the 17th District Senate Race, the antics of Ken Davis, and what Jim Matthews's been up to???

I think this is the whole list of 17th District posts (along with posts that include comments regarding the 17th District race):

 Lower Merion/Narberth Lincoln Day Dinner
 Candidate Questionnaire
 Guest Column: The Republican Revolution!
 A Link From GrassrootsPA
 Another Great Comment That Deserves it's own Post
 The Davis Phone Message
 Another Great Comment That Deserves It's Own Post:...
 Wow! What a Firestorm!
 War Of Words
 About "Comments"
 It's a Question of Fairness
 Durante Bows Out Of Race
 "The Process Doesn’t Seem Legitimate"...
 More On Lance Rogers...intolerant?
 Lance Rogers...Racist? You Decide.

Anonymous said...

Of course Lance S. Rogers was cordial to you -- you write a political blog that lots of people respect.

Your audience is growing by leaps and bounds, and he knows it.

But please keep in mind, Lance Rogers is not going to jeopardize being the "endorsed" candidate, even though he and everyone else knows that the so-called "endorsement" convention was a complete sham.

Lance Scott Rogers is never going to ask for Ken Davis to void the earlier meeting's results and to hold a legitimate endorsement convention for the whole GOP 17th Senate District with all candidates, including the female candidate that Ken Davis purposely excluded, Lisa Paolino.

Bill Shaw said...

Unfortunately, Yesterday's post became one of thos "oops" that I wrote about yesterday.

I was editing something on the page and instead of hitting save, I hit delete.

But, the learning curve is getting smaller....

B.

Anonymous said...

Did you see Lisa at your big dinner last night? Did she go so y'all could mix-n-mingle? How does Arlen Specter look these days since he was so ill a few years back?

If Lisa Paolino has an issue she has two choices of recourse:

(1) File a complaint with the state GOP
(2) File a lawsuit

Otherwise, this is getting beyond old. She says she's independent and doesn't need the political machine, so o.k. prove it.Quit the whining.

If Tom Judge from Delco thought she was winnable, wouldn't he have backed her? But he didn't, did he?

I too wish she hadn't been excluded just so we would stop talking about this . Besides if anyone had heard her speak, it would have put an end to a lot more.

Bill, on other more important fronts, who is seen to knock Ken Davis off his GOP throne and do the votes exist to do it?

Anonymous said...

hey there? It's "Mistress of Ceremonies"

Matrons are for jails, which while oddly appropriate, isn't quite right here....LOL

Bill Shaw said...

I did, in fact, struggle with that passage.

But, she's hardly a "mistress", so "Matron" seemed more appropriate.

Anonymous said...

She's hardly matronly, and "Mistress" is correct usage - we are not speaking of "a mistress" as in the dirty behinds closed doors definition, we are speaking of "Mistress" as in "Mistress of Ceremonies" the feminine of "Master of Ceremonies"

Say, how much were those tickets to that swanky Lincoln Day dinner anyway? (Where does the money go?) Bet the tickets are expensive. A lot of peoplemust go as guests of those more well to do then they are, right? Kind of like when corporations buy tables to not for profit events?

Tell us more about the dinner - you have the advantage over many. How did you decide to attend? (a lot of people also say it's a snooze fest). Who else did you meet/see....did they serve rubber chicken?

Obama Countdown