Sunday, February 17, 2008

Intolerance and Ed Rendell

I've left this alone up to this point, but now feel compelled to comment on this hotbed issue.

Many people have commented (pawatercooler.com) on this egregious remark made by the mayor of Pennsylvania, Edward G. Rendell, when he made reference to the fact that PA has some "conservative voters who might not vote for Barack Obama because he is black".

Tony Phyrillas, in his blog entry, comments on and points to this article in his newspaper, the Pottstown Mercury/Gazette:

Thorns to Ed Rendell...


Well, I've got to say that I know a lot more democrats from the old neighborhood who would be less apt to vote for any black candidate (democrat or Republican) than for a white anything. A grew up in a predominately democrat (3 to 1) neighborhood -K & A in Philadelphia, and for those who don't know, it was a 99 44/100% white neighborhood when I lived there (from 1964 until 1986 when I moved out of my parent's home).

I can't say for sure that their views have or haven't changed, but most attitudes toward different cultures and skin colors were ingrained in most of us from the time we were children. Not so much from my parents, but it was a "neighborhood thing". Some of us got smarter as we got older and realized that we should, in fact, celebrate the differences in people, not marginalize or segregate ourselves from them.

I guess Ed Rendell fits in the other category. I'll bet he even claims he has black friends. I abhor that phrase, mainly because I don't happen to categorize my friends as Black, White, Spanish, Jewish, etc. They are just my friends. And I'm proud to say that my children are growing up equally "color blind".

Also, contrary to Rendell's pablum and puke concerning his gubernatorial race, I didn't see Lynn Swann as a "black" candidate...I saw him as a Republican.


(Myself, Karen and Lynn Swann in Lower Merion-May, 2006)

Sure, I sometimes let my hair down and tell some jokes that depict negative stereotypes, but I do so on an equal basis, without hate or prejudice. My great grandfather was a Jewish man names Schwartz...I tell Jewish jokes. My great grandmother was a German named Silberberger...I tell German jokes. My wife is 1/2 Italian and my kids are 1/4 Italian...I tell Italian jokes. My fathers family comes from South Carolina...I tell my dad "Redneck" jokes, (and I tell them s-l-o-w-l-y). I laugh at Irish jokes. I'm overweight and still laugh at fat jokes. I even laugh at black jokes. Not entirely PC, but, most are really, really funny. That isn't racist or bigoted or insensitive-funny is funny. Ask Chris Rock, Carlos Mencia, and Jackie Mason... stereotype humor keeps them all rich and we are happy to buy the tickets to see them perform.

Hate mongering is a different story-there's nothing funny about that.

Pointing out that someone's race or gender would get them more or less favor because of voters are "conservative Republicans" is both insensitive and bigoted.

Not to just pick on Rendell, Lance Rogers (sometime "R", Lower Merion) pointing out that (Having grown up in Miami, Fla.) “is not a good feeling when you see your neighborhood go from English speaking to Spanish speaking.” is equally egregious.

Both Rendell and Rogers need to learn the errors of their ways. How? I could only wish that Rendell should be made to change his registration to "Republican" and Roger should be ordered to place his campaign office in downtown Norristown.

I know that being in the public eye is tough. I recently ran for office (alas, unsuccessfully) and had things said about me that weren't true. It stings. But, to lower myself to using insensitive language to make a point is not part of my personal moral fiber...nor is it that of most of my family and friends.

I'm not casting my vote for Barack Obama this fall. Not because he's black, but because he's a liberal Democrat, the same reason I wouldn't vote for the Hildebeast. I'll be voting for a Republican.

Besides, we should expect better from those we choose (and in the case of Rendell, have to settle for) for our leaders.

After all, my elected officials do not represent me because I'm a poor white mutt from Kensington (in PC speak: caucasian from a diverse, lower-middle class background), they represent me because I am a citizen of their community, district, state, and country.

Which, if you ask me, should good be enough.

B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! You guys look awesome. I love Swan. Wish he won. He's a great Republican! I have such respect for that man.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you don't see race, creed, religion, or color. THAT is a good thing.

The bad thing is you see life only in the context of Red State/Blue State with no shades of gray.

voting your political party is the American way, but so is this opinion. Happy Prez Day.

Anonymous said...

I wish our party would have more shades of gray. It's too monocromatic some times.

We would be so much better off as Republicans if, as a party, we were more inclusive. Especially with the young voters who are our party's future.

I'm glad that Bill Shaw brings attention to these issues. Bill Shaw knows what it's like to be one of the people because he is one of the people.

Bill, I really appreciate your view of so many issues facing the Republican Party. You talk common sense, and I hope Harrisburg is listening.

Keep up the great work!

Bill Shaw said...

I'm blushing!

B.

Obama Countdown