Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Philly (and Suburb) Speak



Every once in a while, I hear a word or phrase that takes me back to those golden days of yesteryear...usually, it's "Philly-speak", and I always get on this jag of looking up phrases, words and colloquialism from our area. (cheeze stake wiz wid, gone ta cennercitty, ridin on (or taken) da el, yunker, ex-settera, ex-settera)

Well, I'd like to hear your favorite word, phrase or whatever that is native only to the Delaware Valley, such as the obvious "wooder" (as in what we now buy in bottles but can still get out of the"spicket"), or "down da shore" (meaning any point along the Atlantic coastline of "Sowt Jer-zee").

We'll see if I can tell what nayberhud youse are from by what youse send me (remember "Feerrresh pretz-ullz!...Y'awll reddy, fresh pretz-ullz!"? Then you'se are from Kayenay!).

Send them in to me via the email link and I'll compile a list of the top favorites and post them at a later date (prolly on a slow newz day).

C'mawn, youse guys...let's pull out alla stops and take this to the "shtreet"!

B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite from my granmom in the north east... jaeatyet?

Anonymous said...

A few Kenzintin-isms:

the living room = da pah-ler
the sewer = da cole-bert
the refridgerator = d'ice-bahks
the basement = da seller

Bill Shaw said...

Are you a "Kenzo", or married to one? Pah-ler is what they called it in Fishtown and "Lower Kensington", below Lehigh Avenue...we called it "da livin' room"

How about: we rode "are" bikes in the "shtreet" and walked "onna payment"?

Mom washed dishes in "da zink" and when she was done, went out and sat on "da stoop".

Obama Countdown