Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Living in Obama's World

It's not easy being a conservative in Obama's world. People tell me I have to change, that I have to have hope, that I have to work at making my country a better place, because, if not, I'm some lazy, good for nothing, lowdown Obama hatin', irresponsible drain on society.

Ummmmm. No.

Obama has been president for less than 24 hours and the only change I've seen so far is the attitudes of democrats (and former Republican leaning folks). It's gone from hopeful and "Yes we can" to smug and "Oh, you will...trust me, you will".

I'm an optimist. I always have been. The glass is always half-full, they (the dems) just have a bigger glass right now. We had the bigger glass a few times ourselves, and did good things when we did.

What I'm not liking is the "you will obey Obama" sentiment I feel is permeating the media, schools (they made them watch the inauguration, something they didn't do when GWB won re-election four years ago), and just casual conversation with anybody who supported (or now do support) President Obama. For example, I had a conversation last night with a young man I'll call "Einstein".

"Einstein" was a McCain guy throughout the election cycle, going so far as to volunteer at McCain headquarters here in Montgomery County. He spent countless hours on the phone banks, stuffing envelopes, just basically doing grunt work for the McCain campaign in Montco.

"Einstein" was a McCain guy until just yesterday. Here's a small example of a few Facebook conversations I had with him:

(Einstein) "Barack will inspire a nation; he will engage each citizen and work towards the perfection of our Union. Nothing will get done with cynicism or people being scared of change. By working together, we will win. We will reduce poverty, help to end divisions, work towards world peace, and rebuild our economy. Sacrifice is needed. Sharing is caring.
(Bill) Youthful optimism aside, (Einstein), you haven't lived long enough or been disappointed enough or paid enough in taxes to really grasp what is about to happen to our beloved country.

I hope you are this optimistic and enthusiastic a year from now.

But, what really disappoints me is this...you worked so hard to try to get McCain elected, only to defect and jump on the Obama bandwagon.

I wish Obama all of the luck in the world, he'll obviously need it. Other than that, I'm still a bitter clinger and proud of it.
(Einstein) I understand and acknolodge your points Mr. Shaw. But remember about that woman from the McCain campaign we both (didn't care for)? It was people like her and the dismal GOP response to the financial meltdown that has turned me off from the party. The party needs reform, and I can say now that McCain would not have been ready for this crisis. Neither would Palin. Obama knows his stuff, and that has impressed me. I don't think McCain would have known what to do.
"Einstein" went on to absolutely trash President Bush, much in the same way that the media and the radical left has done for the past eight years..."Bush is the reason for this, Bush is the reason for that, Bush is the reason that puppies die, Bush is the reason that babies cry, I hate Bush..." etc.

I don't hate Barack Obama. I hate the concept of working hard to achieve certain goals in my life, both financial and otherwise, only to be called selfish and have egalitarianism shoved down my throat.

We all have the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If one chooses not to "pursue" happiness in their own lives, what right does the government have to take my money, in the form of higher taxes, and force "happiness" upon those who were not motivated enough to pursue it on their own?

As I explained to "Einstein", charity begins at home and it comes from the heart. One gives to charity according to one's ability and desire to give. To have the newly seated President demand that I give my time, efforts and yes, money (taxes) to promote an equality that some are just disinterested in achieving, is un-American.

When our President, Mr. Obama leads by example...in the true sense of his egalitarian misssion...giving up his salary and volunteering to lead us into a brighter future, then maybe I'll buy into his rhetoric. Until then, I'll choose where I give my time, energy and money and I'll choose how much of each I can afford to give. That is the American way. It's what my grandfather fought to preserve when he stepped off the plane in Germany in 1944.

As for "Einstein"? He's young and idealistic. I was, too, once...

We'll see how he feels about President Obama when he graduates college and has to work and pay taxes, trying to earn a living wage while raising a family. We'll see...

For now, I'll choose to live in the real world, not Obama's Utopian Shangri-La. Reality bites, but at least it's real. I truly don't have to be happy all of the time. Besides, if you're happy all of the time, what need do we have for "hope" and "change"? I prefer some balance in my life.

In the meantime, I will pray the serenity prayer for our new President:
Lord, grant our new President the the serenity to accept the things he cannot change; courage to change the things he can; and wisdom to know (and accept) the difference. Amen.
B.


No comments:

Obama Countdown