Saturday, January 26, 2008

The End of the Season.

Most people think of this as the beginning of the political season, and that it is. The excitement builds, starting with the petitioning process, moving forward to the primary election, culminating with the re-organization of our respective political committees and the MCRC re-org.

I do agree that these things still excite me, but I must confess, I'm a bit depressed as well.

You see, when political season began this year, it coincided with the end of the late PA deer hunting season. And, in particular, this year I got skunked!

I have been both lucky and proud of the fact that I have been able to provide my family (and my extended family) with venison for their freezers for the past 8-10 years, with the only exceptions being when family crisis prevented me from hunting. This year, I've had to rely on the kindness of friends to fill my freezer. And I had awfully high hopes, buying a total of 6 doe tags in addition to my regular hunting license. You see, I had high expectations for myself. And I hunted alot. The deer just weren't where I was.

Which brings me back to politics. Our committee had their first meeting today. One thing that was not on the agenda was any discussion of the county issues and how the political fallout would effect local fund-raising, involvement and registration. The truth be told, the only time it was brought up, the subject was quickly changed and discussion turned to "moving forward" the buzz phrase that Ken Davis has been so eloquently repeating when asked of his opinion about the Matthews situation. Nobody was interested in anything except how to move forward.

Well, I, for one, disagree that we need to push this under the carpet and just "move forward". I had high hopes for a Republican courthouse, and those hopes were dashed to the rocks by the traitorous decisions made by Jim Matthews, who we all helped get re-elected, when he gave Joe Hoeffel the keys to the courthouse.

Discussion is important, and this needs to be aired out before any "moving forward" can happen.

Back to deer season. I've been hunting the same ground for years. After about 8 years of trudging my sorry behind through the same woods, sitting in the same spot, essentially repeating past performances, do you think that maybe the deer might have learned something...that unless they changed their ways, they are doomed to repeat the same mistakes year after year...and wind up in my freezer.

The deer are gone from where I hunt because they learned from past mistakes. We should be so lucky to learn from ours.

No comments:

Obama Countdown