Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Missing John

I went to the Conshohocken Bakery yesterday. Tuesday is rye bread day, and I needed an Italian bread for dinner, so I got one of each. The Conshy Bakery makes the best bread for my money.

They've installed a portrait of Sheriff John P. Durante over the pasta case to the right of the counter. It's John's "official" portrait, of him in uniform. On the frame is a small brass plate with "1949-2010" engraved on it. It's both grand and understated at the same time, a fitting memorial to my dear friend.

So, I'm the only customer, Scraps is with me, and the woman behind the counter asks "is there anything else I can do for you?" (mind you, I'm looking up at the portrait). I replied, "Can you bring him back (pointing up and to my right)?".

We both smiled, I paid for my bread and went home, missing John.

Just thought I'd share.

B.


No comments:

Obama Countdown