Saturday, August 6, 2011

Heroes

This afternoon, I heard some terrible news as I'm sure all of you had also, that 31 US soldiers lost their lives today in Afghansistan. The first thought that went through my mind was "I know some boys, er, men deployed in that shithole of a kitty litter box...hope and pray it wasn't anybody I know".

After some reflection, I realized that I actually know each and every one of those men. They are our sons, they are our brothers, they are our fathers, uncles, and grandfathers...each who have fought in every war since the dawn of time to preserve the freedom of others. They are the ones who selflessly,
at one point in their life. wrote a blank check payable up to and including their life, payable to us, the citizens of this great nation.

Never again, when I hear that another hero loses his life in this war, will I wonder if I knew them or their family. I
know each and every one of them, because they are all my heroes. I will shed a tear, and I will quietly reflect on the fact that they died so we can continue to be free.

And, I will know that they are already being held in the arms of their creator, comforted that they did their duty to God and country.

My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives today. I hope they know how much I appreciate the sacrifice their sons made and that I will hold their memory in my heart forever.


B.


No comments:

Obama Countdown